History

The Musée jurassien was founded over a century ago by Abbot Arthur Daucourt from Delémont. This historian wanted to "strengthen and revive a love of the region in children's hearts". Since it became the Musée jurassien d'art et d'histoire in 1981, this institution has been managed by a foundation in which both the Cantons of Jura and Bern are represented, as well as the Municipality and the Commune bourgeoise of Delémont.

1909:  founding of the Musée jurassien
1910: presentation of the first collections in buildings belonging to Delémont College, within the Chateau of Delémont
1922: transfer of the Musée to the Maison Bennot, an 18th century building
1959: expansion and renovation of the Musée
1981: after the creation of the Canton of Jura in 1979, the Musée jurassien becomes the Musée jurassien d'art et d'histoire
2011: reopening of the Musée after its complete refurbishment